Friday, October 17, 2008

How Henry Is Doing...


Another update on how Henry is adjustng to the Phenobarbital.

The anxiety seems to have calmed down quite a bit. Yesterday I noticed a marked difference in reduction of barking/whining/rooing.

However, at the same time, Ataxia has really kicked in. I guess the previous ataxia was from the Valium. The ataxia really isn't that big a deal though. He is used to daily 3 mile walks, and I intend to continue with that as long as he seems able. I think the fact that he is in good shape benefts him during this time. Once he gets a good pace going in his walk, the ataxia doesn't show much.

He still gets Flycatcher seizures easily when stressed. I try to do my workout routines when Henry is solidly asleep. During this morning's workout Henry got up and stood at the gate. He was very stressed that he could not get to me and started with Flycatchers. I took the gate down, turned the music off, Henry came in and laid by me and Flycatchers stopped.

In about three more weeks Henry will get his Phenobarbital level checked. We want the number somewhere between 15 and 45, depending on how much seizure control he needs. I fear he'll need to be kept on the higher side, but we shall see. I will be sure to post his results.

2 comments:

Stanislaw said...

I'm hungry all the time too, but I'm not on those meds...

We've been keeping up with your posts but haven't been commenting as usual. We were so worried when Mr. Henry had his terribly episode and kept him in our thoughts and prayers! We are counting down the days until you have a post about how Henry has adjusted to his medication and is finally settled into his new routine. Henry is such a special boy and a lucky one - my mom truly believes that he would not be alive today if you didn't have him in your home. Not many people would give him all that you have and never for a moment give up. There aren't many folks in this world that are strong enough to keep going and keep fighting. I guess you and Henry are two in a million.

PS - Mom always admires how in shape Mr. Henry is! She loves big muscular dogs and Henry sure is a strong beast!

Emily said...

Hey Stanislaw, thanks for the encouragement!

Emily & the amazingly muscular Henry =)