Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A Thought I'd Like To Share

This thought is a carryover from the entry I wrote earlier today. We tend to always blame EVERYTHING on the seizure meds. It's not always the seizure meds. Grand-Mals, in enough frequency and severity will alter your dog's behavior. Henry went from needing to sleep between me and my husband each night and needing to be sung to everytime he woke up, to being able to sleep on his own bed with no reassurance from us. His fear of sleeping alone started before putting him on meds, while he was in the 3 day Cluster, and it ended three days after increasing his Phenobarbital.

He is recovering in alot of ways from his Cluster. Less spooky, less confused, more frisky. Vision perception is much better, paws are landing on the floor properly, etc. He is doing just fine with our daily 3 mile walks. It was several days after The Big Cluster before we could go back to the 3 mile walks.

Anyways, I included a video just to show a little of his spunkiness and alertness. In this video we were getting ready to go for our walk. He's hard to get a video of cause he often plasters himself very close to my side. In the beginning of the video, you see him stuck my side, that's how he walks on the leash too. He's an absolute JOY to walk on the leash. That's actually fairly common among greyhounds. he also has this adorable bouncy step when he feels good, this is also common among greyhounds. =) The bark however is louder than that of most greys, due to the coonhound he has in him.

Riley, my non-epi, sure is cute when he's excited isn't he? =P

3 comments:

Heidi said...

Hi Emily...and Henry!

I just want to thank you for your blog and information about flagyl. Topaz (my epi pup) was just diagnosed with pancreatitis and we were given flagyl to give to him. I did not end up giving it to him, in fear that he would start having seizures again. We're also going to start him on a different type of diet with something similar to the veggie goop...but our own recipe...and see how that works for the pancreatitis as well as the epilepsy...I'll be documenting everything on my blog. Thanks again...hope Henry's stretch continues!!

Emily said...

Heidi~ Oh no!!!!! I hope Topaz is feeling better very soon! Is he on a fast? How scary! And I too, would never have gambled with the Flagyl. Last thing Topaz needs is his epilespy being aggravated. I'd look into a different antibiotic if absolutely necessary. I hope Topaz is feeling better very soon!

Emily

Heidi said...

Thanks! He was on a fast for a day minus the peanut butter to give him his PB, and he's on reduced foods today. He's doing SO much better. We're going to try a BARF diet for pancreatitis which starts with 90% veg and 10% meat...so I made my first "veggie goop" tonight. LOL We did get him a different antibiotic, his WBC is really elevated.