Sunday, November 30, 2008

Let Sleeping Dogs Lie


In this picture, Henry is in a very deep sleep with his eyes open.

This doesn't have anything to do with epilepsy, but I feel it's an important topic to cover regardless.

I have had many breeds and breed mixes over the years, and the sleeping pattern of the Henry has really stood out as different than any other dog we have had.

Greyhounds are known for sleeping with their eyes open, and they are known for sleeping very deeply, and they are known for having very vivid dreams and can be pretty active in their sleep with their legs and vocal noises.

It is important to be aware of this and understand this to prevent incidents from happening, and it is especially important to teach children that just because the Grey's eyes are open and you can see the black parts of the eyes does not mean the Grey is awake, and to always leave a potentially sleeping Greyhound ALONE. The Greyhound due to it's deep sleeping pattern may not realize right away it's a family member waking them and may bite before they realize that.

If you need to wake a sleeping Greyhound, do it by gently calling their name. Do not assume they are awake until they actually lift their head up.

4 comments:

Heidi said...

Every time I see a new post in your blog, I say a little prayer that it's not because of a seizure! (WTG Henry for 56 days too BTW!)

I always tell my husband to not sneak up and hug our sleeping dogs, esp Topaz because he also sleeps pretty sound from the meds and everything...he doesn't listen to me though...hopefully nothing happens from him bothering the sleeping pups!

Emily said...

Heidi~ I too am still on pins and needles about Henry seizing again. Everytime he starts to stretch, my heart skips a beat and I freeze in terror. Ugh! He had so many seizures this year, I think it's gonna take a good while, if ever to relax about that! My husband too, he hears all these noises Henry makes, and used to alert me to them thinking Henry may seize again. He has stopped alerting me, but I do catch my husband from time to time looking over at Henry, and I can tell my husband still worries.

56 days of no Grand-mals, FINALLY! And to think he used to seize every 8-9 days!

And yes, I can imagine the seizure meds would definately add to the deep sleep!

Emily

Stanislaw said...

I snore like a 100-lb beast when I'm sleeping. That way humans know for certain that I'm snoozeling!

Emily said...

Lol @ Stanislaw! Do you sleep in the same room as your skin parents?